PART ONE NON-VERBAL 15 MINUTES
This experience of having a conversation with my girlfriend
was a little bit difficult. I would like to think of our relationship as having
good communication between one another. We had our first fifteen minute
conversation where I did not use the spoken language. This part of the assignment
was not that difficult for me or my girlfriend. We just had to alter the way we
usually communicate. My girlfriend just changed the way she talked to me, and
was asking yes or no questions in which I could reply with a yes or no head
nod. During the first part I would say my girlfriend was in control of the
conversation because she was the one who was asking the questions, it would be
hard for me to ask questions without the use of the spoken language. The power
was definitely in the hands of my girlfriend during this first part because she
was in control of what we talked about and I had no say in the conversation if
you get what I’m saying. If this first
part of the conversation was looked at as being two cultures I would think that
the culture with the spoken language would have the advantage by controlling
the conversation and directing in which way they like. With communicating complex ideas with their
respected communities the spoken language would have an easier time of getting
the idea out to the people in a way they could understand. Present day cultures
that can’t speak would possibly be primates. I would think that maybe since
they can’t speak and we can, we treat them like animals and treat them differently.
After taking this class I see that humans and primates are really not that different
but yet the spoken language culture rains power over the culture that cannot
speak, that’s just my opinion.
PART 2 NO BODY LANGUAGE
The second part of the assignment my girlfriend and I had a
conversation in which I could speak, but use no other way of communication. I
found this part a little more difficult because she could hear what I am saying
but without any other form of communication it could be taken the wrong way.
Technically my girlfriend could hear what I’m saying but the thing was did she
understand the emotion behind it. I could say “I love you” but a statement like
that is a very emotionally driven statement and without any feeling behind it,
she almost felt like if I didn't mean it.
When we speak to someone and we can see their body language, we get the
idea and emotion behind what they are saying. For example if someone is mad or
sad and they speak to us, but are not allowed to yell or show any anger in
their facial expression they really can’t get there point across. The ability
to read body language could easily help a person survive, for example I am a
police officer and on a daily basis I can do my job and protect myself by
reading someone body language. This also helps in the animal world because you
can tell if an animal is about to attack by their body language and this might
give you the time to react or flee just like when I’m talking to a person at
work, I can read body language and tell if they are being aggressive and are
about to attack. Body language also
helps with reproduction success because while reading body language you can
sometimes tell if a woman is interested in you, but that’s another story
because even with reading body language woman are still hard to read. I think a
situation to being able to not read someone’s body language would be anytime you’re
trying to buy something that the seller gets a commission. Take car salesman
for example you can read their body language and they appear to be nice and
happy and pretend to be your friend but they are sending you unreliable
information. They get something out of giving you false signals and there body
language is not genuine. Some people with disabilities like being blind and autistic
people have a hard time reading body language.
Very informative. Part two of your communication assignment reminds me of our current primary form of communication, which is texting. It is very difficult to ensure the receiver is able to comprehend the true meaning behind the typed word. Emotions, sarcasm, and humor are not always received well as they are miscommunicated often.
ReplyDeleteGood opening discussion and description of Part A.
ReplyDelete"Present day cultures that can’t speak would possibly be primates."
While I get your point, let's think about human-human situations. All cultures can talk, but what about a situation where a non-native speaker is trying to communicate with native speakers? Just because you can "speak" doesn't mean you can speak the right language. Also, some people are limited in communication because of age (think of a baby or toddler) or physical disabilities.
For Part B:
"...she almost felt like if I didn't mean it."
Ah, now this should clue you in to a very important function of body language, namely validating the spoken word and I read on to see if you picked up on this. Body language allows people to verify what you are saying, kind of like a lie-detector, and as a police officer, I bet you use this all the time, without even thinking about it. If your body language doesn't match the words you are saying, this tells the person that you aren't telling the truth and perhaps can't be trusted. Why would this be beneficial in an adaptive sense?
"...sometimes tell if a woman is interested in you, but that’s another story because even with reading body language woman are still hard to read."
Yes, that is interesting, isn't it. Wouldn't it be beneficial to be able to read the body language of the opposite sex? Why can't we do this reliably? Has there been more evolutionary emphasis on same-sex communication? Keep in mind that adaptations take a very long time to develop, so what we see in humans is the result of ancient adaptations, not recent ones and needs to be seen in that light.
I would actually argue that the car salesman is misleading with his words, and the body language would actually tell you the truth of the situation, in which case, you wouldn't want to ignore the "truth-telling" body language, which is harder to fake. So when might body language give you false information, perhaps because you don't understand their body language? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?
Additional note: Can you think of a group of people who have difficulty reading body language?
Deletethank you
ReplyDelete